Matlock Cycling Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Derby velodrome

+2
RJDW
Rthoday
6 posters

Go down

Derby velodrome Empty Derby velodrome

Post by Rthoday Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:24 am

Will be open to the public jan 2015, that's the latest from derby city council
Rthoday
Rthoday

Back to top Go down

Derby velodrome Empty Re: Derby velodrome

Post by RJDW Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:05 am

Any news on the proposed governance structure for "affiliated regional clubs"?

RJDW

Back to top Go down

Post by Rthoday Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:39 am

Very good meeting with representatives from clubs in this region and the midlands last wed night with derby city council. They don't yet have a timetable structure and wanted to her from us what is good nod bad in current velodrome usage. Lots talked about and they will now have a think and put forward their thoughts.

Another round of consultation coming up re the outdoor circuit before planning decision made.
Rthoday
Rthoday

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy S Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:22 am

Pinched from another forum - the current thinking for the outdoor circuit is here:
https://eplanning.derby.gov.uk/acolnet/DocumentsOnline/documents/73632_26.pdf

I believe this is currently open for consultation.
Andy S
Andy S

Back to top Go down

Post by Rthoday Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:50 am

Looks like plans for circuit have changed again.
Rthoday
Rthoday

Back to top Go down

Derby velodrome Empty Lastest news from the 'Arena'?

Post by RJDW Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:46 pm

Other than the virtual fly-through don't seem to have heard much about the Velodrome/multisports/Arena/Gym - given that we are fast approaching the launch phase (Jan 2015)

I would have expected far more comms up to now to the unwashed public as well as well as the council trying to collect names for potential users expressing an interest/keep me informed for not only the track but the gym and other facilities.

They need to engage better with not only the representative cycling groups but the wider audience....

Rant over!

RJDW

Back to top Go down

Post by Woolfie Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:37 pm

You can find out more here and register your interest for news updates - I put this link up on the club Facebook page but forgot to put it on here. The club has had representatives at any stakeholder meetings so far - it seems things will be up and running in January - I'll spread any news updates as we get closer to the time on here and on Facebook

http://www.derby.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/sport-recreation/new-leisure-facilities-for-derby/#Derby-Track-League
Woolfie
Woolfie

Back to top Go down

Derby velodrome Empty Derby Track League

Post by RobOrr Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:49 pm

Hi,

As Jan 15 opening date is rapidly approaching, does anyone know anything yet about proposed Track Leagues/usage times/ club access etc. etc..
The lack of information around is quite staggering. I have registered my interest as a "helper" on the derby gov site but still heard nothing. Is there going to be a Velodrome club like at Manchester or has Derby Mercury secured exclusive rights?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Rob

RobOrr

Back to top Go down

Post by RJDW Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:49 am

I also registered to help - heard nothing......

Not a great advert for the facility to be blunt

RJDW

Back to top Go down

Post by Rthoday Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:17 am

who did you register your offer of help with RJDW?

Rthoday
Rthoday

Back to top Go down

Post by RJDW Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:33 am

Initially via the Derby City Council website, then via the detailed form they sent to interested parties outlining roles and accountabilities outlying the roles I would consider - to their email address listed on the form. Following their process!

If thats how they are treating people that want to help, god only knows what their customer approach is going to be when the open.

Really peeved

Richard

RJDW

Back to top Go down

Post by Rthoday Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:43 am

I questioned Owen Swift who I believe has overall management control of the development of the velodrome project (but is not the track manager) by Derby City Council. His response was

There is an on-going piece of work regarding the development of Track League at the Arena where individuals could register their interest in being involved. Those that registered were then emailed with some options for roles. Once these were received those that had responded were then sent dates of an orientation event and the timescales of training as part of the track league.

but he accepts that there have been some faults in the system and some people have not received responses. If you want to get in touch with him direct then he will try to correct this.

e-mail Owen.Swift@derby.gov.uk

so the track league is currently "an on-going piece of work"
Rthoday
Rthoday

Back to top Go down

Post by RJDW Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:37 am

I have contacted him - but quite annoyed at the apparent disarray - its not even open!

RJDW

Back to top Go down

Post by Woolfie Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:40 am

I suspect that as the managers for the venue are currently being recruited (see the jobs advertised in the general section) that until they are appointed there isn't anyone to organise the league properly.
Woolfie
Woolfie

Back to top Go down

Post by RJDW Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:12 am

Got a message back from Owen - simply blames IT issues for my 'lost' volunteer application - though looks like I have missed the bus for the 'defined' track league roles, as the familiarisation is already in progress. Annoying as I followed the process -

Clearly Derby City Council are very confident that the venue will be a huge success, so they are leaving everything to the last minute - could have been building up a hefty prospective community before they even opened!

Will be interesting to see if any of MCR coaches and other management migrate south down the A6!

rant over

RJDW

Back to top Go down

Post by Rthoday Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:29 am

The track league is being organised by a committee entirely separate from the velodrome organisation. I attended an initial meeting as an interested party from the point of view of Forest Town Track. I am not involved with this committee but I think Mercury Jim is, I've sent him a message to ask how it is developing. Phil Smith was also at this meeting, don't know if he went to further development meetings of not.
Rthoday
Rthoday

Back to top Go down

Post by Woolfie Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:05 am

Email from Derby City Council this morning as things start gearing up - note you must have registered interest to go to this event:

Dear Track League Enthusiast

We are pleased to let you know the dates of the Derby Track League Role Specific Training sessions and Orientation Event.
Sessions will be delivered in Derby and you must attend the sessions that is relevant to your role.

Orientation Event

Held at Derby Arena this will be your first opportunity to see the Arena and meet fellow track league volunteers and find out about what being a track volunteer will involve including a session with some guest speakers.

Tuesday 3rd February 2015, 7pm – 9pm

Derby Arena, Royal Way, Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8AN

What to expect

· There will be a line-up of guest speaker at the Orientation event as well as an opportunity to see inside Derby Arena

· The Orientation event is designed to entertain you rather than provide training. You can expect to come away from the event with interesting information about your contribution to Derby Arena, Track Leagues and British Cycling in general.

· This is an exclusive event for Track League respondents.

· Unfortunately friends and family cannot come along to this event.

· Please contact us in advance using the details below if you have any special requirements.

Role Specific Training - Operator and Official Training

February 2015,

Derby Arena, Royal Way, Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8AN

There will be a uniform collection point at the venue where you will pick up your uniform at the end of your Role Specific Training.
It is essential that you attend the Role Specific training session. Please arrive at the venue at least 15 minutes before the session start time.

To find out more about Derby Arena, visit our website www.derby.gov.uk or, for any queries the website doesn’t answer, please email us on admin.sports@derby.gov.uk.

Other Opportunities
There’s a wide range of volunteering opportunities available for you to be of in cycling, for further information on volunteering in cycling - visit www.britishcycling.org.uk/volunteer or for wider community opportunities in Derby City – visit www.communityactionderby.org.uk

Thank you for your interest and we look forward to meeting you soon.

Owen

Owen Swift | Sport and Active Recreation Manager | Community Leisure | Neighbourhoods| Derby City Council, The Council House, Corporation Street, Derby DE1 2FS | Minicom 01332 256666 | www.derby.gov.uk

Woolfie
Woolfie

Back to top Go down

Post by RJDW Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:08 am

Humm - didn't get this email either - even though I attended the initial briefing session in November and they added me to the list - maybe I asked too many hard questions...

Think i'll stick to riding the track and developing my panto skills

Oh yes I will!

RJDW

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy S Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:27 am

Andy S
Andy S

Back to top Go down

Post by Woolfie Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:55 am

I hear it may be March / April time before fully open - delays in setting up the operations there including appointing managers.
Woolfie
Woolfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy S Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:14 am

Andy S
Andy S

Back to top Go down

Post by Woolfie Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:05 pm

A few pics from last night's orientation evening at the Arena. Latest news is that an exact opening date will be confirmed in the next couple of weeks but it will be in March. The building is complete its just that they are sorting out the management / staffing stuff - don't forget its a multi use arena so its not just the cycling they are sorting.

Looks fantastic - you will love cycling there. There is a Track League being sorted out - likely to start on a preliminary basis about 4 to 6 weeks after opening. They will start small and as the velodrome staff / riders / clubs / coaches/ volunteers get into the systems the leagues will expand to cope with whatever the demand is - youth / womens specific etc. There will be opportunities for clubs to hire the velodrome and for anyone to ride from novices through to experts.

The straights are shorter than Manchester i.e the bends start sooner but the bankings are at 42 deg rather than Manchester's 45 deg.

Derby velodrome IMG_4107_zpsa7lfq9mx
Derby velodrome IMG_4089_zps6mal6iy6
Derby velodrome IMG_4084_zpsjorqggsj
Derby velodrome IMG_4075_zps9xbemhne
Derby velodrome IMG_4049_zpsvepsycow
Derby velodrome IMG_4060_zpslq1bzhrd
Derby velodrome IMG_4056_zpszljjavko
Derby velodrome IMG_4083_zpslo8ew97e

Woolfie
Woolfie

Back to top Go down

Post by philc Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:44 am

Looks great...can't wait!
philc
philc

Back to top Go down

Post by Woolfie Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:37 pm

Opening 20th March:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-31653582

Derby Arena is to hold a series of special events after it opens to the public in March, council bosses said.

The £28m venue, built to host high-level cycling events, as well as other sports, including basketball, will officially open on 20 March.

The 5,000-seat arena will also double as a concert venue and feature a 12-court sports hall.

A council spokeswoman said a 30-day showcase would "unwrap" the arena to the public.

Councillor Alison Martin, cabinet member for leisure and culture, said: "We're offering a brilliant opportunity to see the arena in all its glory, try first-hand what it has to offer."

Demonstrations of the facilities will take place during the 30-day period.

The arena, which was originally due to open in December, has been funded by Sport England and the Labour-controlled Derby City Council.

The authority said the delay in opening was down to "getting things right".
Woolfie
Woolfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down